The Idris Elba-Taraji P. Henson thriller No Good Deed debuted atop the domestic box office this weekend, ending the long reign of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.
The Screen Gems release opened to an estimated $24.5 million million, while fellow new release Dolphin Tale 2 swam into second place with $16.6 million.
Guardians of the Galaxy dropped to third place in its seventh weekend in release with $8 million. Its current domestic cume is $305.9 million, with a worldwide total of $611.5 million. It’s so far the only film of 2014 to pass $300 million domestically.
In limited release, the Tom Hardy crime drama The Drop debuted in sixth place with $4.2 million.
Here are the weekend estimates via Rentrak:
1. No Good Deed $24.5 million
2. Dolphin Tale 2 $16.6 million
3. Guardians of the Galaxy $8 million
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles $4.8 million
5. Let’s Be Cops $4.3 million
6. The Drop $4.2 million
7. If I Stay $4.1 million
8. The November Man $2.8 million
9. The Giver $2.6 million
10. The Hundred-Foot Journey $2.5 million