Gilbert Melendez failed his post-fight drug test at UFC 188 in Mexico City, for what the promotion said in a news release announcing his one-year suspension were “testosterone metabolites” in his system.
Melendez, who lost a close decision to Eddie Alvarez on June 13, accepted the penalty handed down. He was fortunate that his failed test came before the July 1 switch to drug testing run by the United States Anti-Doping Agency, because at that point, it would have been a minimum two-year suspension.
But it was disappointing to hear Melendez, as so many fighters who fail their tests do, blame it on a product (presumably a nutritional supplement) he used.
“Regrettably, I tested positive in my post fight urine sample for UFC 188,” Melendez said in the statement put out by the UFC. “I did not inject anything, but I am responsible and accept the consequences for the results. I will make sure I am better educated about the products I use and their implications. Going forward I will ensure no products I use will contain banned substances. I am sincerely apologetic to everyone who supports me, including my fans, sponsors and the UFC. I value your trust and respect and will do everything in my power to keep it.”
The UFC did not specify in its release which product Melendez was referring to and a spokesman said he had no further information.
As a result of the failed test and the penalty, Melendez will no longer fight Al Iaquinta on July 15 in San Diego, as had been planned.
No opponent for Iaquinta has been named.